Iran has currently met its obligations to the IAEA under the 2015 US-led agreement with the UN and now IT is the time for Israel to submit its nuclear program to UNSC inspection or face international sanctions. The imperative is for:
1. The Negev Nuclear Research Center at Dimona to be fully opened to inspection by the IAEA and its estimated undeclared stockpile of up to 400 nuclear warheads be put under UN supervision for eventual destruction other than those required for legitimate defence purposes, estimated not to exceed five warheads (5) in total.
2. Israel’s capacity for uranium enrichment to be severely limited for a minimum of 15 years and that all its centrifuges in excess of 5000 to be dismantled under IAEA supervision
3. That all supplies of heavy water be shipped to the US or other approved recipient, apart from the minimum required for legitimate medical isotopes
4. That inspections teams from the IAEA continuously monitor all Israeli nuclear sites and to verify all fissile materials thereupon.
5. That the state of Israel to become a party to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) with immediate effect.
The timescale for all such specified actions to be approved by the United Nations Assembly in General Session.
Comment: Will “the only Democracy in the middle east” permit itself to be under the scrutiny of any organization that it doesn’t control? Don’t hold your breath. Countries with governments as arrogant and pathological as Israel’s exemplify hypocrisy and only adhere to international laws and norms when it is politically expedient. And the case will be no different if the UN tries to inspect Israel’s nuclear production facilities.